Are you or your partner looking for a job in Bonn and the surrounding area? Our job board offers job opportunities that have been posted by international organizations and companies from Bonn and the region which are looking for employees with a foreign background. Most of these job offers do not call for German language skills or for basic language skills only.
Further information is available from the Dual Career Network Rhineland and the job board of the Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit)
Position: Project Coordinator for DPR Korea
Sustainability in agriculture is an unsolved challenge despite growing evidence of the need for a paradigm shift towards new production systems that put ecological resources, rural societies, cultural expressions, public social welfare and the economic viability of smallholder family farming in the foreground. Organic Agriculture offers solutions that can contribute to sustainable development in rural areas.
IFOAM – Organics International believes that agriculture - done differently – can be part of the solution. Organic agriculture – a dynamic and continuously developing farming system based on the science of agro-ecology – is a forerunner of truly sustainable agriculture and offers practical solutions to address major global challenges.
It has more than 900 affiliates in about 120 countries and also acts as a Global Action Network with numerous allies. Its values are based on the four principles of health, ecology, fairness and care.
IFOAM – Organics International leads change – organically. The three departments work on:
a) Enhancing knowledge, skills and attitudes of producers and value chain actors (Capacity Development department);
b) Stimulating demand for sustainable products by raising awareness; and
c) Advocacy for a policy environment that is conducive to truly sustainable production and consumption.
The Capacity Development department is contributing to a situation where know-how and systems are improved and spread in order for operators to farm, process and market in a truly sustainable way. Our projects seek to strengthen stakeholders and improve the livelihoods of vulnerable households in need of innovation and adaptation, challenged by food insecurity, biodiversity loss, climate change, the depletion of natural resources and economic shocks.
Holistic, people-centered approaches with a focus on enhanced food systems (sustainable production and consumption) leading to a more balanced diet – particularly for women and children – and market-oriented value chain facilitation form the backbone of our work towards poverty alleviation.
Since 2012 has IFOAM – Organics International been implementing development projects in DPR Korea with co-funding from the European Union in order to improve food security and nutrition for the local population. The Project Coordinator for DPR Korea will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of an EU-funded project by IFOAM – Organics International in DPRK. He/she would need to closely coordinate and cooperate with her/his counterpart in China. Reporting is directly to the Head of Capacity Development Department.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
We are looking for an experienced project coordinator with at least 5 years of relevant experience and with proven skills in project management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in low-income countries. The position requires the following key competencies:
• First-hand experience in planning and implementing of international projects in a complex environment, cooperating with different partner organizations and public bodies;
• Sound knowledge of Organic Agriculture and its challenges globally, particularly in low-income countries, combined with a high level of commitment to and passion for true sustainability in agriculture;
• Great organizational skills including the management of budget, staff and partner relationships. Professional, hands-on and outcome-oriented working style, capable of achieving fast progress in complex and parallel multi- stakeholder processes;
• Excellent social and intercultural communication skills. Ability to build capacity with participatory approaches and to gain trust and respect of allies and partners;
• Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of additional languages (e.g., Korean or Mandarin) is an added-value;
• Excellent self-management skills including time, deadlines and task management, priority setting and self-motivation.
• Willingness to travel regularly to DPR Korea. Experience working in the DPR Korea context and familiarity with the local context would be highly favorable.
• Willingness to contribute to a culture of open dialogue and constructive, mutual feedback as part of a diverse team;
Details of the position: This challenging, full-time position (or optional 90%) will be based at our head office in Bonn, Germany in an attractive geographical and institutional setting and provide the opportunity for international travel. The salary is competitive, in line with similar international non-profit organizations and commensurate with experience, skills and performance. The contract will be limited for two years with the intention to expand. Proposed starting date is June 1, 2018 or upon agreement.
Application Instructions: Please submit a full CV, letter of motivation, salary expectations and the contact details of two references, all in one PDF document to Thomas Cierpka, Deputy Director, and your strategic and content related questions to Barbara Zilly, Head of Capacity Development Department of IFOAM – Organics International, both at email@example.com. The application deadline is March 20, 2018.