Motor vehicles are registered and license plates are assigned at the Vehicles Licensing Authority at the Citizens Service Center, Stadthaus, Berliner Platz 2, Passage (Phone: 0228 - 77 66 77).

Required Documents

a) logbook / motor vehicle certificate of title (Kfz-Brief)

b) proof of insurance

c) residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)

d) passport or identification card

If you want to register a used car, you will also need:

e) vehicle registration document (Fahrzeugschein)

f) number plates

g) TÜV/AU (mechanical and exhaust control)

If the car is imported from abroad, additional documents are required.

A motor vehicle tax (Kfz-Steuer) must be paid, unless you are exempt from taxes. Vehicles must also pass a safety inspection by the Technical Supervision Agency (TÜV). The TÜV safety inspection has to be carried out every two years. EU nationals only need vehicle registration papers and a valid EU identification card.

Citizens Service Center (pdf)

Diplomats/Officials of International Organisations: To register your private vehicle, please enquire beforehand at the Protocol Division/Bonn Office of the Federal Foreign Office (Außenstelle Protokoll Bonn), Adenauerallee 99-103 (entry via Tempelstraße), 53113 Bonn, Phone: 01888-17-4695. The necessary formalities will be explained to you there. For further information, visit

To top